Ethylene Glycol is used as automotive antifreeze, and if left uncovered or drained on the floor presents a deadly threat to pets. Dogs and cats drink it because of its very sweet taste. Antifreeze poisoned pets show symptoms of depression, weakness, a drunken-like staggering (ataxia) along with anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, or convulsions. Severe and fatal poisoning often results. Ethylene Glycol causes permanent fatal kidney damage in an extremely short period of time, just minutes.

Blood testing reveals the level of damage to the kidneys and if mild enough, hospitalization with intra-venous fluids may help if initiated immediately.

Tell all you know that non-toxic safe antifreeze is now on the market. “Sierra” is a brand name of an antifreeze that is nontoxic to our pets.